Discover Chaos: A Gold Balloon Student Society
Bristol SU has a number of societies which have been accredited with gold status on the Balloon Accreditation Scheme. We caught up with Chaos to find out more about their student group.
What do Chaos do?
We are Chaos – The University of Bristol Physics Society! We encourage interest in physics and aim to build a community for students studying the subject as well as those who simply enjoy it. You don’t have to be a physics student to join in with the best academic society and runner up for best society (according to the National Society Awards 2018)! Everyone is welcome!
The types of events and opportunities we run include:
- talks with academics and pop culture physicists (Previous speakers include YouTubers Simon Clarke and Brady Haran!)
- offering links with industry (Airbus, TTP and more)
- doing hands on astronomy with our own telescope
- Trips to facilities where physics is being used in real life (including CERN!)
- Socials including bar crawls, movie nights, quiz nights and much much more
- Physball – our annual christmas ball
- Organising sports teams including netball, football, and Badminton
- LGBT+ Physicists network to encourage inclusion and diveristy
- We even have our own tuck shop open lunch times serving coffee and chocolate called Physbar, famous for serving the cheapest coffee in Bristol!
Where do we do it?
We are based out of The Physics Building, however we make use of a wide range of facilities that fit our event’s needs. We have held trips to We the Curious by Harbourside, JET and The Diamond Light Source in Oxfordshire and CERN near Geneva! Our socials have also been held at Airhop in Cribbs Causeway, The Lanes in city centre among many other venues.
Put simply: we go where the physics takes us!
What have we achieved and how have we met the standards of Gold award?
We are immensely proud to say we won best academic society and runner up for best society at The National Society Awards in Cardiff and on top of that The Good Times award from Bristol SU! We have done this by sticking to our aim of bringing students who love physics together and giving them a space to explore their fascinations and socialise. Last year we held more events than weeks in the academic year. Many of them being free and from as broader range of topics to ensure that there is something for everyone.
Anything different you’re planning for next year?
More astronomy! More socials! More physics fun basically. We are aiming to do everything we did last year dialed up to the nth degree. We’ve already begun organising socials for the first few weeks and Physball 2018, so watch this space! This next year will be our most exciting yet hopefully!
Find out more about Societies and Clubs
Find out more about the Balloon Accreditation Scheme